©2016 Charlotte Hutson Wrenn
This is a painting from a photograph by Walter Sanders, originally published in Life Magazine in an article on segregation in Alabama and Edisto Island. The painting is 7″x 5″ and for now is not for sale. Giclee prints will be available soon.
The Hutchinson House on Point of Pines Road, Edisto Island, SC was built by Henry Hutchinson around the time of his marriage to Rosa Swinton in 1885. It is the oldest house identified with the Black American community on Edisto Island after the Civil War. Hutchinson was born a slave in 1860. According to local tradition, he built and operated, from c 1900 to c. 1920, the first cotton gin owned by a Black American on the island. Hutchinson lived in this house until his death in 1940.
– from http://www.nationalregister.sc.gov/charleston/S10817710151/